In the United States, firearms and ammunition must be checked as baggage and declared to the airline at check-in. The following guidelines apply to transporting firearms on a commercial flight in the US:
- Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container that is specifically designed for transporting firearms.
- The container must be locked and only the passenger who declared the firearm at check-in will be able to unlock the container.
- The firearm must be declared at check-in and the airline will provide the passenger with a firearms declaration form to sign.
- Ammunition must be placed in a separate locked container that is also hard-sided.
- The firearm and ammunition must be checked as baggage, and they cannot be carried onto the plane.
- Federal regulations prohibit the transport of firearms in carry-on luggage.
It is important to check with the specific airline for any additional requirements or restrictions on transporting firearms. It is also important to familiarize yourself with the laws of the state or country you will be traveling to, as they may have different regulations for transporting firearms.
When browsing through Case Club gun cases be sure to look for the following “shipping” symbol which indicates the case is TSA compliant and can be used to securely check your firearm. Also don’t forget to bring your own padlock as that will be required to lock your case.